Thursday, 8 November 2012

Windows 8: First Impressions

I upgraded my laptop to Windows 8 earlier this week. It all went smoothly enough, although it did take most of the afternoon…

However, I did have a fairly big problem with a bit of software that i had used regularly on the machine with Windows 7. I used Proxy Switcher Lite (PSL) when connecting my laptop to my works network. It made life so much simpler than having to mess around with proxy settings everyday.

Anyway, there seems to be a huge incompatibility issue, between Windows 8 and PSL (probably due to the fact that Windows 8 seems to deal with proxies fine natively). Basically, as soon as I even looked at PSL it corrupted my user profile. After much fiddling around I managed to rebuild my profile, then proceeded to uninstall PSL. Guess what happened next? Yes even that corrupted my profile.

Anyway, I am fully up and running now, have spent a totally unproductive day familiarising myself with Windows 8 and hopefully things will get back to normal now…

As for Windows 8 itself, it seems interesting, not sure about some of the new features yet, but generally I like it!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...