Friday, 29 April 2011

Movie Review: The Lost Future

Anyone who has read my blog for any length of time will know that I am a bit of a fan of the dystopian Post Apocalyptic (PA) genre. I have a fairly extensive collection of PA movies, covering the obvious ones, Mad Max, Book of Eli and the like, right through to some of the more obscure titles like A Boy and His Dog, The Ultimate Warrior and No Blade of Grass.
So when I spotted a PA movie starring Sean Bean, that I have never heard of, on the DVD shelves of my local Asda store (Wallmart to my American cousins), at a very reasonable price, I just had to pick it up. When I got home I looked it up on IMDB and was a little worried to see that it was a SyFy Channel movie. Still, the only review on there suggested that it was one of the better SyFy Channel movies, so I have been looking forward to getting around to watching it. I finally had a chance to sit down and watch it this evening, and I must say, I really enjoyed it.
From the outset the films sets out to have you believe that it is actually set in the stone age, a small tribe hunting for food and fighting a giant sloth, all points towards that assumption. However, slowly the dystopian future elements start to reveal themselves, a printed book, a pair of binoculars, eventually some ruined buildings. Also, along the way we find out that the tribe is hiding from "the Beasts", kind of ghoulish (in the Lovecraft sense) mutants, that have a passing similarity to H.G. Well's morlochs. If bitten or indeed exposed to the breath of these Beasts, the unfortunate person will eventually turn into a Beast themselves. There may be a cure available, but it is held the leader of a band of survivors who inhabit the ruins of New York.


Sean Bean
Anyway, without giving away anymore of the plot, lets just say, there are some interesting chase sequences, so savage fights, and even the bad guy doesn't come out as being all out evil, simply using somewhat dubious methods to help himself and his family survive.

The acting, although not Oscar quality, is perfectly adequate. The location shooting in South Africa is ideal, with some wonderful backdrops to scenes. The visual effects are very well done. The giant sloth was reasonably believable, and the ruins of New York city were beautifully rendered (fitting very nicely in with the Eye Candy painting I posted yesterday).

Sean Bean does an excellent job, and Annabelle Walis, Corey Sevier and Sam Claflin all give likable performances.


1 comment:

JJS413 said...

Hmm, I feel a Gamma World campaign coming on!?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...