Wednesday, 8 October 2008

I'm back!

Yes I know I have not posted to the blog in about 3 months.

This summer has been exceptionally busy and there have been several family problems that just have not left me in the mood for blogging (my wife broke her hand which meant we all had to pull together and help out a bit more, then a close family friend died very suddenly which knocked us all for off track). Anyway I am back now and will try to post at least two or three times a week, with the aim of posting something daily.

I never have really understood the "Bloggers Meme" thing very well, but I saw this one and thought it would help me get back on track:-

http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/007263.html

Quick Meme: What Are You Reading and How Are You Liking It?

I am reading three books at the moment (the joys of reviewing books on my podcast).

The Court of the Air by Stephen Hunt

This is very thick book and something of a reviewers nightmare, I am really enjoying reading it, but I am not a particularly fast reader and I want to finish it (rather than as some reviewers do - just get a feel for it and then move on to the next book). The simplest description I can come up with for this book is "imagine Charles Dickens writing Science Fiction"!

image

Space Captain Smith by Toby Frost

Following on from The Court of the Air (as you can probably tell I am preparing a podcast about steampunk), I am also reading Space Captain Smith by Toby Frost, a real steampunk "Ripping Yarn", if Court of the Air was Charles Dickens, Space Captain Smith is George MacDonald Fraser...

image

Old Man's War by John Scalzi

I have always had a soft spot for military SF and this one is well written and has some nice twists! I do get a bit sick of the "boot camp/basic training/Master Sergeant" plot threads that these books all seem to find necessary, but this one is well written and hold the attention.

image

I am reading Old Man's War as an ebook on my smartphone, not great on the eyes, so I only manage 5 minutes here or there, but I do like the ebook format and when the full ebook readers come down in price I will be buying one!

1 comment:

The Acrobatic Flea said...

Welcome back! You've been missed - here's hoping for a more upbeat future and plenty of blogging :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...