Tuesday, 14 October 2008

Health Problems!

Over the past couple of weeks I have been informed that I have a High Blood Pressure problem, in fact when the doctor took my blood pressure last week it was verging on extremely high and then this weeks check was slightly better but still a serious cause for concern.

Now generally I eat fairly healthily, and I have never smoked, I very rarely drink alcohol (maybe 1 or 2 units a month, honestly).

I don't add salt to my food, but I do eat crisps (potato chips) regularly. I also have usually drank between 8 and 10 cups of tea a day.

My main problem, and I have been aware of this for sometime, is a lack of any regular exercise. I changed my job a couple of years ago, and although the job description is virtually identical to my previous position, it was a lot more physical, as I ran a workshop and did a lot of carrying of timber and wood cutting. My new job is in a different workshop (same employer), that involves much less physical work and a lot more sitting behind a desk.

To counter my lack of exercise I have started to get off of my bus a good bit before I get to work and walking the rest of the way (this includes a considerable hill as well as walking at a fair pace). I am going to get an exercise bike that I can use in the evenings, when the boys are in bed. I have cut my tea drinking down to 2 or 3 a day and I have stopped eating crisps.

I am also falling back on my interest in Buddhism, and finally starting to practice a little meditation.

When I have my blood pressure checked next week I will find out if any of this is working, and also I will find out if it has been enough to avoid further tests and the possibility of long term medication.

I must admit that thinking about my wife and two young sons is giving me some serious incentive to sort this out before it goes any further.

1 comment:

The Acrobatic Flea said...

Good luck with the new regime. Blood pressure is a tricky beast so I hope you can get it under control.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...