Thursday, 13 March 2008

BBC4's Worlds of Fantasy

I managed to miss the first two episodes of this documentary (although I still have the first one on tape and will watch it at some point).

Anyway, I managed to catch last nights episode. It was really quite interesting, looking at the background and reasons for the rise in popularity of fantasy fiction.

It was very much a British perspective with Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, Philip Pullman (being interviewed in a church - that just struck me as interesting) and China Mieville.

The only non-British voice was Guillermo del Toro, which I thought was an interesting choice.

Clearly the series was trying to be "high brow", seeing Pratchett as the satirist of the age!

The show was a bit to "artsy" for it's own good, almost looking down it's nose at the genre as an art-form, but using it as an escape from or reflection of modern life!

At least it tried to deal with the subject in a respectable non-sneering manner.

I dread to think how a similar show would deal with science fiction!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...